Monday, September 10, 2007

Which sport do you play?

In my sweeping survey (not that I ever did a survey, of course), the greatest signifier of Asian-ness is *drum rolls* BADMINTON.

Here is the theoretical result of the said theoretical survey:
99% of Vietnamese plays badminton, remaining 1% handicapped, ie victims of agent orange, tennis is the sign of economic status, so when a Vietnamese says s/he plays tennis, it means a declaration of membership to the upper echelon of society or an intent to be a member of that esteemed group (red alert, *the sound is dong! dong! dong!), the immediate response of the women is badminton, immediate response of men is football (testosterone!) and then badminton

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious. I love badminton because I suck at most sports that require actual skill, and street badminton, at least, does not. I agree with the tennis thing. I have a friend who is definitely in that upper class you speak of, and he brags about playing tennis whenever he gets the chance.

Anonymous said...

:-)

I brought my squash racquet and soft squash balls from the US yesterday. What does that classify me as?

:-)

Anonymous said...

Well don't just stop there, what about the sports that get the rest of Asian countries going?

Who'd ever think that tennis had snob-value.

banana bender

amadbrownwoman said...

preya-hi!i beg to differ, there's skill in badminton:)!coz aside from softball which i haven't played in 50 years, it's the only game i'm good at.
kevin-don't encourage kevin, coz i might.
banana bender-as they say practice to theory, theory to practice, i can't make fiction, these are the people i meet in saigon, (how they'll hate me if i specify them!)