Friday, October 20, 2006

amadbrownwoman is a linguist

During my first few months in Vietnam, I had this unchecked idea that "Hai Ba Trung" means... (okay here it is) twenty three eggs. (To Vietnamese speakers, stop laughing now, will you?) It's what happens when your main interaction with locals is buying. Mot nghin dong, one thousand dong... hai nghin dong , two thousand dong ...ba nghin three thousand... ca, fish... ca trung, fish eggs...Get how brilliant me is? (To my former professors in the university, it was not all in vain. There are moments when I redeem myself. I do. I do.) To my defense, at least I knew my numbers.

It was named after the Trung sisters who are women-warriors in Vietnam history. (Yeah, move over Mulan!) "Hai" means two, "ba" madam or a married woman and Trung is the family name. (Thanks to the boyfriend of the friend of my sister for pointing this out. Heller!) Here's the Trung sisters' story.

3 comments:

Jimmy Tran said...

"Hai Ba Trung" = 23 eggs

classic.

amadbrownwoman said...

yeah, ah know. it's classic jessica simpson goes to vietnam.

Unknown said...

This was written in 2006?
My first visit to Motherland since 1975.
Your explanation did make sense, but you do have to know the accents on ba.

Enjoy your blogs.